Artists in Residence
Every year La Galerie centre for contemporary art in Noisy-le-Sec welcomes an artist in residence for seven months, providing him or her with intellectual, logistical and financial support. The residency is intended aid creation of a body of work based on an annual theme and relating to the art centre’s territory. The artist is invited to suggest different approaches to the exhibiting of the works produced during the residency and to take part in public events organised at La Galerie.
Residency terms and conditions
Artist’s fee: 6000 €
Production costs: 7000 €
The artist’s accommodation is a furnished, rent-free 65-square metre studio/apartment in Noisy-le-Sec, close to the art centre. Noisy-le-Sec is 10 minutes from Paris on the RER E line. Electricity, gas, water and public transport costs are met by La Galerie.
The selection process
The residency is open to any artist living in France who is part of a professional network and whose main activity is art. There is no age limit, but the candidate must be an art school graduate.
Applications must be sent by email only to email@example.com
Application closed for 2016-2017 season.
The selection process is in two stages
1. Reception of applications
Applications must comprise 2 attachments only, both in PDF format. Total maximum file size: 4 Mo. Note that no Word files will be accepted.
– 1 biography (CV) in PDF, including full name, address and contact details, date of birth and current place of residence.
– 1 illustrated file in PDF representative of the artist’s work. Artists using moving images or sound should include the relevant Internet links.
5 candidates will be shortlisted by a committee comprising the director and the coordinator of residencies at La Galerie, together with Vanessa Desclaux, guest exhibition curator for La Galerie’s 2016–2017 season.
2. Shortlisted candidates and jury
The five shortlisted artists will be required to provide a statement of intent for their proposed residency projects.
– Each artist’s approach or specific project must correspond to La Galerie’s line of research for the 2016–2017 season (which will be specified at this stage of the proceedings).
– Regarding his or her creative process and its outreach, each artist must take account of La Galerie’s territory, stakeholders, and cultural and academic functioning in terms of the municipality, the département and the Region.
Shortlisted candidates will be informed by email in early June and invited to present their projects to a jury made up of the shortlist selection committee and representatives of La Galerie’s partners on about 22 June 2016. Non-shortlisted candidates will be informed by email after the jury hearing.
Liv Schulman is in residence at La Galerie from September 2016 to April 2017.
Download the call for applications