Artists in Residence
Every year La Galerie, contemporary art centre in Noisy-le-Sec, welcomes an artist in residence for seven months, providing him or her with intellectual, logistical and financial support. The residency is intended aid creation of a body of work based on an annual theme and relating to the art centre’s territory. The artist is invited to suggest different approaches to the exhibiting of the works produced during the residency and to take part in public events organised at La Galerie.
Residency terms and conditions
Artist’s fee: 6000 €
Production costs: 7000 €
The artist’s accommodation is a furnished, rent-free 65-square metre studio/apartment in Noisy-le-Sec, close to the art centre. Noisy-le-Sec is 10 minutes from Paris on the RER E line. Electricity, gas, water and public transport costs are met by La Galerie.
The selection process
The residency is open to any artist living in France who is part of a professional network and whose main activity is art. There is no age limit, but the candidate must be an art school graduate.
Applications must be sent by email only to email@example.com
The selection process is in two stages:
1. Reception of applications:
Applications must comprise 2 attachments only, both in PDF format. Total maximum file size: 4 Mo. Note that no Word files will be accepted.
– 1 biography (CV) in PDF, including full name, address and contact details, date of birth and current place of residence.
– 1 illustrated file in PDF representative of the artist’s work. Artists using moving images or sound should include the relevant Internet links.
4 candidates are shortlisted by a committee comprising the director and the coordinator of residencies at La Galerie, together with guest exhibition curator.
2. Shortlisted candidates and jury:
The four shortlisted artists are required to provide a statement of intent for their proposed residency projects.
– Each artist’s approach or specific project must correspond to La Galerie’s line of research for the current season (which are specified at this stage of the proceedings).
– Regarding his or her creative process and its outreach, each artist must take account of La Galerie’s territory, stakeholders, and cultural and academic functioning in terms of the municipality, the department and the Region.
Shortlisted candidates are informed by email in early June and invited to present their projects to a jury made up of the shortlist selection committee and representatives of La Galerie’s partners at the end of June. Non-shortlisted candidates are informed by email after the jury hearing.
Season 2018-2019 : Tarek Lakhrissi